Is Sexual Enjoyment Godly? – Part 2
In the first part of this series, we stated that sex is a very important aspect of human life, yet the topic is not being given the place it deserves among those who supposed to help others in finding their bearings in this regard. Hence, our coming up with the topic: “Is Sexual Enjoyment Godly?”
It is pertinent to examine some basic foundational issues as regards our subject matter so as to be able to safely find answer to the question we are out to discuss in the series.
What is sex?
Our first port of call in this second part of the series is looking at the word “sex”. Sex has been variously described as “a physical union between a male and a female”; or “the coming together of sex organs of a male and a female”. It is also referred to as “sexual intercourse or coitus” in the biological term. Sex is also referred to as “love making” because it makes both parties who are voluntarily involved in the act to feel loved.
How does the “Manufacturer” want sex to be handled?
In order to derive the maximum satisfaction from any product, it is wisdom to consult the product’s manual which will usually state in details the step by step instruction on how the manufacturer wants the product to be handled. Failure to consult the manual does not mean that the product will not function, in some cases; it only means that maximum satisfaction will not be derived.
Similarly, for anyone to get the best out of the product called “sex”, it is wisdom to look into the Holy Bible which we consider to be the Manufacturer’s manual. The Holy Bible states some important points as to how sex should be handled in order to get the best out of the product. Some of which we will examine below. Most of the perversion around sex stem out of the failure to take the instructions in the manual to heart. The Manual says:
- Sex should be between male and female
– 1 Cor. 7:2b (NIV) – . . . each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband.
- It should not be with someone of same sex
– Lev. 18:22 (NIV) – Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.
– Rom. 1:24-28 (NIV) – Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another…. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones.
27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.
* Male and female pandas were brought together in one of the UK zoos so as to prevent them from being extinct.
* That tells us that for humans not to also become an endangered species, the manual of sex must be adhered to.
- It should be in purity, within the confines of marriage
– Deut. 22:20-21 (NIV) – “If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house …. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you”.
– Heb. 13:4 (NIV) – Marriage should be honoured by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all sexually immoral.
– Eph. 5:3 (NIV) – “But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity… because these are improper for God’s holy people”.
– Philip. 4:8 (NIV) – Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Dear friends, let’s conclude this Part by stating that it does not mean that people will not be able to “have sex” if the manual is neglected, but, in our opinion, they’ll sure not be “making love”.
Thanks for reading. Part 3 of the series will follow soon. Stay connected!